Every so often I read about a person doing something so extraordinary that I make an impulse donation - an impulse purchase in reverse. I read about Erin Sprague '05 in Harvard Magazine. She is an investment banker with a most unusual side interest - running marathons, one in each continent. Her goal is to be the youngest women to ever do this, and she is well on her way. The money she raises goes to a non-profit in the continent where she runs, deserving local charities that are not high-profile:
- Australia: Silver Lining Foundation, supporting Aboriginal advancement
- Asia: the Polaris Project, which combats human trafficking
- Africa: Kenya Netork for Women with AIDS
- Antarcita (yes, there is a marathon on Anartica): Antarctic and Souther Ocean Coalition
- South America: A Drop in the Ocean, helping South America's poorest
- Europe: Co-operation Ireland and
- North America: Girls on the Run, which promotes running to develop women's esteem.