Friday, November 23, 2012

Pelham Pharmacy: Going Local, Supporting a Terrific Lady's Business



It is terrific when one can align one's values and actually derive terrific value.  I recently took the plunge and moved my prescriptions to a locally-owned pharmacy a few blocks from my house, instead of the big box a mile away.  My pharmacist, Adayat A. Adewunmi, opened her own store after the birth of her second child, drained by her work for large drug stores.  She is sunny, beautiful, and knew my name after my first visit.  The prices are comparable for co-pays and cheaper for out-of-pocket.

My husband avoids change if at all possible, but after listening to me tell tales of how with-it Adayat is, he switched his prescriptions as well.  She did all the work, which did take a bit of time.  But she solved an annoyance that had been irritating him for some time, that his monthly prescriptions were never in sync and he had to do an extra pick-up each month.

Here are some of the nice things a sole-proprietor can do:

  • One of my prescriptions is 37.5 milligrams, but the pills only come in 25 mls.  Adayat OFFERED to cut the pills in half rather than my breaking them, as I had been doing.  How nice and reassuring to have a professional paying that kind of attention.
  • She volunteered to deliver this prescription DURING HURRICANE SANDY.  You read that right.
  • When I went in to pick up a prescription this week, she asked after my husband by name.   And then she said his medications were ready, did I want to take them with me?  Awesome!

If you are a Weavers Way member, she is giving 10% off WW members through the end of November.
It is really gratifying to have a pharmacist who knows you personally, and I am delighted to be able to help her build a successful business. I don't know where Adayat hails from, but she is just the sort of new American we are privileged to have - bold, focused, and providing great service to support herself and her family.

Pelham Pharmacy, 6555 Greene St. Open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., except Tuesday when the pharmacy closes at 5 p.m. Open Saturday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Closed Sunday. 215-848-0500.

1 comment:

Obat Darah Tinggi said...

i like your post and thank's for your information