Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Blogger Deleted My Blog" - A Happy Ending

About ten days ago, I discovered this stink bomb in my inbox:

Hello, Your blog at http://moneychangesthings.blogspot.com/ has been reviewed and confirmed as in violation of our Terms of Service for: SPAM. In accordance to these terms, we've removed the blog and the URL is no longer accessible. For more information, please review the following resources: Blogger Terms of Service: http://blogger.com/terms.g Blogger Content Policy:http://blogger.com/content.g -The Blogger Team
No warning and no one to communicate with.  The email itself says "norepy@google.com".  A quick trip to my blog URL proved this was not a practical joke.  My blog had been misidentified as a spam blog and I, therefore, as a spammer.  Five years of writing 450+ blog posts, gone.


1. I followed their links and read what was on blogger's website itself, but I must say, it wasn't very helpful.  Step one is to go to the Dashboard and find the Restore button, which allows you to submit a request.  The fact that you go through a submission process and authenticate your submission is more or less proof that you are not a spammer.  
2. A second step is to get into the data base for review.  I found this step on an external thread
3. Then you go to the Something Is Broken message board and write up the particulars of your case, which becomes your thread.  A Facebook friend who had the same experience sent me there.
Google says somewhere in the process that they are sorry, and it should take them 48 hours to review your case.  They also give you all kinds of hostile warnings.  These are aimed at those who have violated the TOS, Terms of Service.  No one likes to be addressed as a evildoer, so it's hard to be cool when you read this stuff. They have a threatening, menacing tone, and face it - Google has snatched your blog and has all the power.  You are a begging, pleading, pathetic case.
Nitecruzr seems to be a liaison between Google and the wronged masses - he runs several elaborate blogs about Blogger and manages an immense number of threads.  Not clear to me if he does this as a job or out of the goodness of his heart, but I got the sense he expedited my case.  He has a name - Chuck Croll.  If you're reading this, Chuck, thanks!
Then comes the hardest part of all: waiting.  Two things were the most helpful as the days wore on.  My son Zach reminded me not to take this personally.  No one at Blogger had actually looked at my content; something merely set off an algorithm.  When Blogger is calling you names and threatening to remove all your blogs it is hard not to get pissed off, but there's no point.
The second helpful approach is realizing that the content is still on the net even if it's not accessible through your url.  My friends sent me a link to WayBackMachine, an internet archival site, and my blog was there pretty intact.  This made me feel so much less agitated.
After 8 days, I received a message from Nitecruzr that my blog had been reinstated.  (Nothing from google.)
And it was.  End of story.  Really bizarre.
I do wonder why Google doesn't spend a little more of its $37,000,000,000 in revenues to hire more Blog Restorers.







6 comments:

Deer Little Fawn said...

hi, I know this is an old post but I was referred here by a friend, as a similar situation has happened to me, except I have recieved no notification that my blog has been falsly accused of spam, my blog just vanished. I have gone through the same steps as you did and Nitecruzr is again the only reply I have had, it gives me slightly more hope to hear that he helped reinstate your blog. I think it's insane that it's impossible to contact a single Google employee over this. My blog has been running for 2 years and has over 700 posts, non of which contain spam. Thanks for this post as if nothing else, it's good to hear I'm not alone in this and that your problem was eventually resolved.
Beth

Deer Little Fawn said...

hi, I know this is an old post but I was referred here by a friend, as a similar situation has happened to me, except I have recieved no notification that my blog has been falsly accused of spam, my blog just vanished. I have gone through the same steps as you did and Nitecruzr is again the only reply I have had, it gives me slightly more hope to hear that he helped reinstate your blog. I think it's insane that it's impossible to contact a single Google employee over this. My blog has been running for 2 years and has over 700 posts, non of which contain spam. Thanks for this post as if nothing else, it's good to hear I'm not alone in this and that your problem was eventually resolved.
Beth

Jendeis said...

This just happened to me as well, with absolutely no message from Google that they were deleting my blog (4 years and running).

I'm going to try following your steps. Hopefully I will be able to restore my blog.

bpt said...

I am gratified people found my story. Blog deletion is horrid and traumatic. Not only have you lost your product, lovingly produced, but you are essentially being accused of misdoing, but punished before you have any chance of defending yourself. HOpe these others are successful in reinstating their blog. Google, do no evil!

Raza said...

Same thing happened to me guys..
You can understand how it feels..
Hard work of day n night...
All gone in one message..
and i'm unable to find any cached copy or backup on internet

Anonymous said...

I understand the frustration. This happened to me today and I had only just created a new account and blog - I hadn't even got any content yet! It took some time having to keep giving my password, trying to restore the blog and getting activation codes etc. In the end I got so fed up with it I just deleted the whole lot - blog, account, email everything. Blogger is going to loose customers this way. I'm all for security, authentication etc. but this process was ridiculous. I wanted to copy my posts from WordPress to Blogger instead as it has better customisation tools and web visibility. Now...I'm gonna stick with WordPress!