Sunday, January 8, 2012

Macy's Idiotic Return Policy, and a Victory

My new purchase, a coat from Macy's by ACTUALLY GOING TO A STORE, turns out to be incredibly badly designed.  The pockets have horizontal zippers and every time I reach in, they scrape my hands.  It's going back.
Except, nowhere on the website do I see how to return this via UPS.  A call to customer disservice explains that IF YOU BUY AN ITEM IN A STORE, YOU MUST RETURN IT TO A STORE.  It is 2012.  People are busy, and even if I had all the time in the world, why would I want to waste gas to travel to a store when I can simply put the coat in a box and have it shipped from my doorstep?
After several calls with Grace, the poor woman whose job it is to explain this idiotic policy, I have been given special permission to return it to the store where it was purchased, via UPS.
It would seem this policy is designed :

  • to discourage people from actually returning unwanted items
  • to discriminate against poor people, who need the money and will put up with stupid policy and
  • to encourage wasteful use of fossil fuel for people to drive to stores
  • and to make sure that customers like me will never, ever shop in a Macy's store again!

2 comments:

Daniel Milstein said...

Good share,I hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you're talking about. Can't wait to read more from you!

Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound too idiotic to me. Oftentimes the store and website are different companies, and they cannot accept each others inventory.

And returning vis UPS is still using fossil fuels, so lets not be ignorant about that. I would recommend asking about the return policy before you purchase from any store so you know what to expect. Just my 2 cents..