Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Following David Pogue's Take Back the Beep Campaign re: Cellphone Messages

A few months ago, David Pogue, tech columnist for the NYTimes (yes, a few journalists are still writing for newspapers) made an impassioned plea for cellphone customers to rise up and protest the stupidity of being forced to waste 15 cellphone billed seconds every time someone wants to leave a message. You know you're forced to listen to a bunch of dumb suggestions, like "If you want to page this person, do yada yada yada", even though no one bothers with pagers anymore? That's all enforced cellphone revenue!
He has a careful list of all the different companies to complain to, for the right to simply leave a message after the beep, without listening to anything. Most everyone who uses phones knows what to do when they hear a beep.
As for me, I mostly use my cell to keep in touch with my adult children. Usually they call back without listening to the messages I've left, anyway. So my new strategy is to stop leaving messages just to say hi. They generally check for missed calls, and since I show up in that list, I've told them to consider a call with no message a Hello-I-love-you. If I DO leave a message, it is because I need to tell them something significant. This cuts down on the time we all waste on cellphones, and the cost, too.

No comments: