Thursday, January 22, 2009

Check Me Out on Get Rich Slowly

Today Get Rich Slowly - isn't that a fabulous name for a blog? - features my column today on planned obsolescence and appliance repair. It's not a sustainability sight, so eco-considerations are not paramount, but generally what is frugal is also green. Lots of great ideas are included in the comments, and my experience is that since JD gets thousands of hits every day, those comments just keep on coming. (So far I didn't get dinged like the time I wrote about wedding registries! Some people thought I was the most idiotic wedding guest in history, imagining that I might pick a gift a couple would like that wasn't on their registry!)
Check out The Repair Clinic. It was recommended by a reader who loves using it - it was heartening how many folks take time to fix things and find it a very satisfying experience. And next time you need a toaster, but a Sunbeam on Ebay! They last 50 years+. We've been through at least 4 toasters in 35 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just read your article on Get Rich Slowly, thanks for the tips. I was horrified however to read that you use a clothes drier to "soften" your laundry, Clothes driers are extremely environmentally unfriendly...please think about stopping this practice.

Jacob said...

It is possible to toast bread in a cast iron skillet with a cast iron lid (other skillets may work too). This obviates the need for a dedicated toaster to perform that function.