Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Nephew Rory and The Lymphoma Challenge

I hope you'll support our nephew Rory's Team in a Training Triathalon by clicking on the link. Rory was diagnosed with lymphoma this summer, a big shock - as you can imagine. How amazing is it that he's taking on a triathalon, supporting research for his own disease? I haven't changed one word of his very inspiring letter:

A short story of hope and irony…

Eighteen months ago I set out to complete a triathlon. My competitive swimming days were well behind me, so I realized I might need some help. I signed up with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. While I raised funds to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma from taking more lives, I also got in shape: a fair bargain.

In June 2007, I completed the King's Trail Triathlon in Maui. I swam one mile, biked 24.8 miles, and then ran 6.2 miles. It was a thrilling event, but of an even greater importance, I raised $6400 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Fast forward one year to June 2008. Shortly before my 26th birthday, I was caught completely off guard by a shocking development: I was diagnosed with lymphoma; in fact, I most likely already had the disease when I completed the Maui triathlon. (This is the ironic part). I have Follicular B-Cell Lymphoma, one of about 40 types of lymphomas. Luckily, it is considered to be slow-growing and treatable. It is not, however, curable.

So now I've signed up with Team in Training again, only this time it has a little more meaning. This time, it’s personal.

On October 12th I plan to complete The Arrowhead Day at the Beach Triathlon in Hermosa Beach, California in honor of all individuals who are battling blood cancers. The more than 800,000 Americans like me who are battling blood cancers need your support to cross the ultimate finish line - a cure!

I have been fortunate: I’ve seen great doctors, I’ve completed my first round of treatment and I’m already the beneficiary of an enormous amount of research. But not all patients are so lucky. On their behalf as well as mine, I am writing to ask if you will please make a donation to support my participation in Team in Training and help advance the Society's mission. Every dollar you donate will go towards supporting research, patient and community service and education. No gift is too small--or too large! Contributions can be made directly and securely.

I hope you will be able visit here often and check back frequently to see my progress. I will be very grateful if you are able to support my effort and thank you for your generosity. Whatever you can give will be greatly appreciated. If you will pass on this link to friends, family, or coworkers who you think may be willing to help fight blood cancers, I thank you in advance.

With gratitude and warm wishes,

Rory Koslow

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Wow, good for him! My dad also has an incurable blood cancer that can be managed (for an unknown period, and not easily), myeloma. A year ago I didn't know what myeloma was, and now I'm also supporting Team in Training and their cause. Go Rory!