Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rip Van Winkle in the Yogurt Aisle

Before vacationing I tried a new recipe for blueberry muffins which called for 8 oz of Lemon Yogurt. Sounded easy and good, and I knew yogurt would give the muffins moistness without a lot of extra calories. I blithely headed to the yogurt aisle - where I have rarely hung out the past decade or so - to pick up the classic Dannon 16 oz container. My standbys used to be Dannon vanilla, coffee, or lemon. Neither of my kids care for yogurt and I have avoided it because of the packaging - it's non-recyclable and single portion. My compromise is 2 lb cottage cheese containers, available at Costco, which are big enough to reuse for some other purpose. Bad guess on the yogurt product line!
First off, product is no longer 8 oz, but they've all downsized to 6 oz. Americans are heavier than ever, so this is just the old trick of keeping the price the same and decreasing the volume. The flavors and brands abound, all cutesy and chock-full of additives. I am old enough to recall when yogurt was introduced as health food in the midwest - Dr. Gaymont's, in the Mid 60's. Back in the day, eating yogurt was a way of announcing your hippie intentions to the world. These newish yogurts looked mighty junky to me. After a dazed 10 minutes of searching, I picked up the Stonyfield Lotsa Lemon. It had the fewest additives and Stonyfield is always up there on Socially Responsible company lists, plus if I collect enough of their containers to bother, the company will accept them for reuse in toothbrush manufacture. So whatever happened to Dannon coffee yogurt? Do they still make it, even?
The muffins weren't that great. Not worth purchasing a special special ingredient with lots of inputs.... I know my friend Meenal will tell us to make our own yogurt, so go for it, Meenal!

1 comment:

Nif said...

Why not just ordinary yogurt, a little lemon flavoring (or lemon zest, or lemon juice), and whatever amount of sweetener you want?

I'm a die-hard fan of Seven Stars Yogurt. We use the containers for freezing stoup stock ingredients, soup, stew, chili, spaghetti sauce and for storing all manner of other things.

That said, I do intend to get back to making yogurt again someday. I do all kinds of other cooking from scratch.