Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Woe is Me! Postum is Dead and Gone!

Postum disappeared from the supermarket a few years ago, and it took awhile to locate some. Eventually it returned. So I wasn't entirely surprised when my local grocery had an empty spot on the shelf behind the Postum label. When a second store didn't have the label, I got concerned. When a different chain didn't have it either, I started to hyperventilate. This has been my late evening, calming drink of choice for about 30 years. And I'm neither Mormon nor in my 80's. It's healthy and has a great, mellow taste.
A quick search online produced the nasty news that Kraft has killed it. Their explanation is it had a declining customer base. Tell that to Utah! When you see the junk on the shelf where the Postum should be - fancy powdered, sugared, artificially sweetened, chemical-laden lattes - you can guess that the profit margin on Postum didn't warrant the shelf space, not the lack of loyal customers. I am so bummed!
The next solution was Ebay. If you want a laugh, or a new business to think about going into, take a look. A 4-bottle Postum lot is going for over $100.00. Postum added greatly to my quality of life, but I don't think I'm ready to buy it at $25 a bottle. I find it totally nuts that a great product disappears. Why didn't they sell it to a different company, or jack up the price, rather than just kill it? Clearly there is a steady customer base, since I found hundreds of them online.
I'm not really hyperventilating, but I am very, very sad, both about not being able to obtain my favorite drink any longer, and for the insane corporate control Kraft has over the lives of all Postum mourners. I wonder how long it will take for someone to bring it back into production?
Kraft pulled it in January. Since I was buy a few bottles at a time and store them in my pantry, I just found out - too late to scrounge around and hoard a few, to tide me over until an enterprising person brings out a new version. That can't be soon enough! In the meantime, check out my new blog, BringBackPostum, to share your ideas and get ideas for lobbying companies. You can also join our Yahoo Group.

7 comments:

Josh said...

You might like Cafix: http://www.internaturalfoods.com/Cafix/Cafix.html

bpt said...

anyone able to compare Cafix and Postum? Cafix is pricey and imported... Postum was modestly priced and domestic...

Julie H said...

I'm sorry that happened! (I happen to know where you can get a lot of tea to tide you over if that helps. Or if it doesn't, I also suddenly have quite a lot of hankies.)
The same corportate disappearance thing happened to me with the bar soap I always bought -- in quantity, on sale -- and when I finally needed it the next time, there was none to be had. Major frustration! I hope you find a good source for your Postum. Good luck.
jh

Alice Maxfield said...

Condolences on the loss of Postum. Living in New Orleans for several years, we found chicory to be a good, non-cafeinated drink. It was originally used to extend scarce coffee in the Civil War (I think), it's now a regular addition to New Orleans style coffee. You can get chicory quite easily in France - it comes granulated to brew or to mix as instant, also as a liquid. http://www.answers.com/topic/leroux-s-a-s?cat=biz-fin gives information about Leroux, "the world's leading producer." In the US, my best source has been the Atlantic Spice Co. atlanticspice.com.

Anonymous said...

why don't you do some research and figure out how to make your own Postum?

Anonymous said...

Here in France we have a lot of coffee alternatives similar to Postum with roasted chicory, barley, acorn etc.

A good one is by Lima and is called Yannoh. I think you can buy it in the states, it comes in instant and ground.

bpt said...

I bought a similar product called Roma. It's pretty bad. Doesn't hold a candle to postum.
I have started a blog called Bring Back Postum.
http://bringbackpostum.blogspot.com/2008/03/bring-back-postum.html