Monday, February 4, 2008

It's a Big Day for America

Pennsylvania, my home state, is not part of the Super Tuesday primaries. Though we in Pennsylvania are thinking that at least on the Democratic side, things may not be resolved, which would give our primary some relevance.
I was 16 years old in 1968 - I well remember the malaise of Viet Nam, and the excitement of young people gathered around Eugene McCarthy - I was one of them. It feels great to be excited about things larger than oneself, and that is what I am sensing all around me, a sort of big earth quake. I hope it takes us all somewhere better.
If you're in a Super Tuesday state, pause a moment to be thankful for the great privilege of voting. And then do it!! And for those of you voting for the very first time, mark the moment, not just the ballot. It is really big.

No comments: