Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bamboo: Attractive, Sustainable, and On Sale!

An eco-friend has shared that bamboo plates and cutlery are on-sale at Crate and Barrel. The plates are $1.95 - $3.05 and a place-setting is half-price, $1.95. Bamboo is a quick-growing renewable resource and at this price you can stock up for a whole group. They recommend washing bamboo by hand, but even for a group, it's not that much work. To replace disposables, we use permanent dishes and glasses at our synagogue. Volunteers organize a rotation and a different member washes them and returns them each week. It is more aesthetic than plastic, and minimizes our group eco-footprint a bit.
I've never plugged a particular sale before, but this might be a nice upgrade for people out there.

2 comments:

bpt said...

A well-informed reader points out that hand dishwashing is not as resource efficient as dishwashers. When my bamboo cutlery arrives, I am going to put it in the dishwasher. I am guessing it will just need to be oiled once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

and do what with my old dishes? I have had them 25 years. why buy more stuff!