Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Identity is Revealed: I'm a Co-op America Board Candidate

Dear Readers,
After nearly a year of not mentioning my name (though a few commenters who know me have addressed me by it), I am out as Betsy Teutsch. There are good reasons to be discreet about one's identity, especially when the topic is money.
However, partly as a result of blogging about sustainability, I have become more connected to Co-op America and very excited about its mission:

to harness economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.

A few months ago Coop America announced an opening for a board position representing its membership. (Other board slots are filled by staff, funders, and member businesses.) It sounded so interesting that I applied. I made the cut and indeed am one of 4 candidates on the ballot in this month's mailing. (In order to serve, I need to be elected, so hence you need to know my name.) If you are a Co-op America member, please vote for me. Today's image is a jpg of my personal statement - if you click on it, it will enlarge to a readable size.

The Coop America's mailing with the election info in it features a wonderful resource, Real Money, informative updates on great Co-op America projects, + a lot of junk-maily looking papers. The ballot is buried among those loose papers, so to vote you must go on an archaeological dig through the envelope, locate the ballot, and then rummage around to find the return envelope. It's all there, I promise. My statement and check-off box is on the back of the ballot. The number of people who actually find the ballot, care enough to vote, put the ballot in the envelope, and remember to mail it is somewhat less than 100% of the membership. Therefore each vote has the potential to effect the outcome - remember Florida 2000!

If you know anyone else who belongs to Co-op America, please do put in a good word for me, along with my platform: less junky-looking mail from Co-op America! Their Quarterly Mag and Real Money are such fine publications that they should not be diluted with appeals and coupons, IMHO.

Thanks for your support!




No comments: